Baking at 11.30pm is a ok in my book. And these little beauties were quite truly splendid despite the later hour of their birth. MMM
From BBC good food (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4257/sticky-toffee-pudding)
100g dried chopped dates
125ml black tea (medium strength)
pinch bicarbonate of soda
90g self raising flour
pinch each cinnamon, ginger and a grating of nutmeg
90g caster sugar
- Put the dates and tea in a saucepan together and gently warm for around 5 mins before removing and stirring in the bicarb (fizzing like a volcano)
- Cream butter and sugar before adding the other ingredients and beating to a thick batter.
- Add the date and tea mix and stir to combine.
- Bake in fairy bun cases for 12-15mins at 180C or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack while you make the best bit, toffee sauce . . .
100g light muscovado sugar
142ml double cream
- Heat everything together in a saucepan over a low heat giving the occasional stir.
- Cook until the sugar has all dissolved and the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
Plonk sauce over cake and eat. Really really good.