I finished my finals today and it got me reminiscing about my 4 years at uni and what’s changed and what I learned. Blady bla and all that soppy stuff.
Well in my time I have made (and therefore eaten) a lot of scones so I have a recipe and method down to a tee.
Scones (makes 8)
350g self raising flour
Tsp baking powder
Tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 200C
2. Mix dry ingredients with a knife.
3. Rub in cubed butter to fine breadxrumbs.
4. Gently warm the milk (to blood temperature) and add the vanilla essence.
5. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients firstly with a knife then very gently with your hands. The golden rule with scones is to treat them real good, be very gentle the dough should be soft not sticky.
6. Pat it out to a rough square, don’t roll, then cut into 8 triangles with the same knife.
7. You can glaze with beaten egg here but these are down and dirty scones so I really never bother (unless I’m doing fancy tea!)
8. Bake for 10mins on a lined baking sheet until slightly golden ontop and when tapped on the base they sound hallow.
Dadaa, sconios! True story, my Dad was apparently scone master at uni too, so it must be in my blood right!