Have you been watching Bake off? You haven’t! Really? No OF COURSE you have! I have been addicted since series 1! Tonight was the final and it only seemed fitting to have cake while watching exceptionally skilled people baking in a tent in the middle of a field.
Only in Britain!
This is an altered Paula Deen recipe. I’m ever so slightly in love with her however controversial a thing that is to say!
Pecan Caramel Cake (originally Pecan spiced layer cake with caramel frosting)
65g chopped pecans
50g caster sugar
55g light brown sugar
1 large egg
106g self raising flour
1/2tsp baking powder
73g light brown sugar
73g dark brown sugar
192g icing sugar
(NB the quantities are strange because I a) converted from cups to ‘real’ measurements b) only made 1/3 the quantity!)
1. Preheat oven to 150C and toast the pecans on a baking sheet for around 10mins (or until they smell scrummy!)
2. Make the cake by beating butter and sugar until light then adding flour, cinnamon, baking powder and egg. The mix in buttermilk and vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined.
3. Lightly dust the toasted nuts in flour (which makes them suspend better in the mix so I am told . . .) then fold them into the batter.
4. Turn the oven up to 180C and grease and bottom line a 10″x5″ pan before adding the batter and baking for 10-15mins until baked.
5. Take out and cool in the tin for 10mins before turning out onto a rack to complete the cooling while you make the frosting.
6. Melt the butter over a low heat and add the brown sugars and beat well to combine before gently trickling in the milk always beating.
7. Remove from the heat and transfer into a large bowl before beating in the sifted icing sugar and vanilla.
8. Cut the cooled cake into three equal sections and sandwich with frosting between each layer and all over. Decorate with remaining pecans (from 100g packet.)
Delicious and worthy of Bake off Finals night!
Please tell me you watch it!!!